Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Assisted Living Musings

When I visit my dad in his assisted living center I usually find him sitting in a common area in a chair where he can see down a long hallway. This allows him to watch most of the comings and goings of staff and residents. As I sit with him, he keeps a running commentary on the folks who appear in his field of view. As I have spent time there, I have come to an obivious conclusion: the end of life season is tough.

I see a couple. He is sprightly and clear-headed, but his wife's mind is gone. It is tender and heart-breaking to see him, who gives the impression that he could exist quite well in the outside world, staying faithful to his marriage vows and tending to his wife who knows when he is with her, but very little else.

I see younger people who, for whatever reason, have lost their ability to think things through, and I wonder how many years will their world will be limited to the cream colored walls of the facility.

The older ones, including my dad, fall into one of two categories: those whose minds have outlived their bodies and those whose bodies have outlived their minds. I haven't decided which is less desirable.

I look at Dad, and I know that he is spiritually ready to make the next journey. He hangs on tenaciously to this life because it is what he knows. He knows conceptually about his glorified body in Heaven, but for 94 years he has lived the reality of this life, so he stays with what he knows. But I know that when that day comes, and Jesus says "Well done", Dad will wonder why he hung on so long.

Don't fail to make your preparations for your Heavenly destination.

No comments: