Monday, February 28, 2011

What does your church think of single moms?

Last night after church, Carole and I, Sean and Alice, and our guest, Stephen Kuert went out to get something to eat. We had an enjoyable conversation while we ate. At the end of the meal our server came to gather our plates. She hesitated, then said, "I heard you talking about church stuff. First, what church do y'all go to?" We told her. She continued, "What does your church think about girls who have a kid but their husband has left them? Because I tried a church and they told me that I was an abomination."

Of course it was a race for all of us to tell her that she would find love and respect at Living Water. We gave her info about the church and contact information if she needed to talk to someone. I really hope that she will take us at our word and come at her first opportunity. I was struck by two things.

First, I admire this young lady's courage. She is pretty new to Guthrie and she had a horrible experience at a church, yet she had the courage to make herself vulnerable to us by essentially asking if it were possible for her to be accepted at our church. She has a deep-seated desire to find a place where she can fit in.

Secondly, I am grateful that our conversation and demeanor while eating pizza demonstrated something that she felt might be what she was looking for. Had we been rude, or if our conversation had been judgmental, she would not have mustered the courage to approach us.

Stephen led in a brief prayer for her and we let her know in no uncertain terms that we would be looking for her. I really hope she comes. But I really believe that we will find encounters such as this one to be the norm in coming days. It is the heart and the desire of our church.

2 comments:

B said...

That's awesome! God's using you guys.

Blake said...

That's awesome!! God is using you guys in incredible ways to impact Guthrie.