Tuesday, December 28, 2010

On Any Given Day

We are coming quickly to the end of another year. Each year has its own story, but the big story for me for 2010 is the new chapter that began for Carole and I by becoming pastors in October. This exciting and daunting calling has easily eclipsed my Inca Trail adventure as my top story of the year.

Pastoring is never dull. I noticed Sunday that the sink in the men's bathroom was draining much too slowly and I made a mental note to check on that later. This morning I was reminded of the slow sink again, so I immediately began to disassemble the p-trap to see where the clog was. When I removed the tailpipe extention I saw something dark and slimey looking. I grabbed it and gave a yank. Imagine my surprise when I pulled a dead frog out. Apparently it had come through the drain system and was looking for a place of  escape. When it made it to the end of the line, I guess it gave up or didn't like the soapy water. It couldn't have been there for more than a couple of days, but it had already begun to stink pretty badly. I gave it a proper burial in the dumpster, reassembled the drain and now the sink drains fine. The bathroom smells better, too.

You never know what opportunities await on any given day. It was better to be the plumber than the frog.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

That is my worst nightmare.