Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Challenges

Yesterday I went to the gym for the first time in several months. A year ago I went several times a week as I prepared for both a 5k run and my Inca Trail hike. I developed a pretty good level of endurance and completed both goals. After my return from Peru, however, I didn't have any goals ahead of me. And as a result, the whole motivation to continue the workouts kinda slipped away. The fact that I felt really good and had a lot of energy didn't seem to be enough to cause me to continue the physical discipline of regular workouts. Now, I am again soft, my energy level is much lower, and it is more difficult to concentrate than it was when I was fit. It would appear that I need another challenge ahead to motivate me toward improvement.

Spiritual fitness is just like physical fitness. If we are just going along in life with no goals or challenges, we will not maintain the disciplines of prayer and Bible study that we do when we are facing something that appears to be daunting or beyond our capability. As a new pastor, I have plenty of spiritual challenge to keep me on my knees and in the Word. But as a soft middle aged guy I need to find a new physical challenge. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: