Sunday, July 18, 2010

Ties or no ties?

Now and then I will find myself involved in a conversation with someone and the matter of wearing ties in church will come up. Some are ardently in favor of wearing ties, and some are adamantly opposed to wearing ties. I wonder if all of the conversation is really worth it.

A few years ago I worked with a really nice guy who belonged to a denomination which would not allow the wearing of ties or short-sleeved shirts. They believed that ties and short-sleeved shirts were a display of human pride and as such were an affront to God. I am convinced that because they believed in salvation by grace through faith in Jesus I will see them in heaven one day.

I have also known people in my own church who will not set foot in the church sanctuary without a tie. They believe that present themselves in such a casual manner would show disrespect to a Holy God and be an affront to Him. I am convinced that because they believe in salvation by grace through faith in Jesus I will see them in heaven one day.

I believe that God, who was around long before anyone even thought of the idea of neckties doesn't even notice. He is too busy looking on the heart. That is where he is looking for the pride which is an affront to Him.

No comments: