Friday, July 23, 2010

Baptismal Plumbing Part 2

Last week I posted about efforts to get the baptistry at Vida Victoriosa functioning. It has not been used in several years because of a leak. Last week we found the leak in the circulating heater assembly. Yesterday I went back to remove the assembly so I could search for a replacement. Some time back, someone had attempted to put solder on the upper conpression fitting in a failed attempt to fix the leak. I was concerned that the solder would make removing the heater very difficult. After all, the area where this assembly is located is cramped and dark. The lower fitting looked as though it would not be difficult at all.

As is the case with most of my projects, I miscalculated. When I put my pipe wrench on the top fitting, it came undone really easily. The solder had not adhered to the piping, so it just peeled off. The lower fitting was a different story. What I thought was pipe sealant on the threads of the that fitting turned out to be "Liquid Nails" construction adhesive. It was never intended to be used as pipe sealant and that fitting was very difficult to remove.

A search on the internet revealed that, of course, the circulating heater I need no longer is made, but I found one which will work with a little creative plumbing. Now I need to find $750 to purchase it. When that has happened and the baptistry is up and running, I will expect to be invited when Martin baptizes new believers in his church for the first time. It will be a great day!

No comments: