Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Getting Stronger

I went to the gym for a workout for the first time since my Inca Trail hike. I started out on the elliptical and something interesting happened. The setting and speed which had taken my heartrate to 140 prior to the hike now only took my heartrate to 115. Apparently the difficulty of the hike with its ascents and descents at high altitude strengthened my cardiovascular system.

Okay, you've read enough of my posts to know where this one is headed. The struggle, although difficult at the time, served to make me better and stronger. I have to work the machine at a higher resistance level to acheive the same heart rate as before the struggle. I am stronger now after the hike than I was prior to the hike.

Easy application: When we endure struggles in life, remember that the other side of the struggle brings greater strength than we had going into the struggle. Don't leave the trail early. Finish the task and you will be ready for even greater tasks.

No comments: