Thursday, November 5, 2009

It was fun this season


Back 15 or 20 years ago, I followed major league baseball closely. Every morning during the season I would check the box scores of my two teams, the Yankees in the AL and the Reds of the NL. It was before ESPN, before the internet. I learned the player's names from the box scores. I had no idea what they looked like unless they played on the NBC game of the week. World Series games were usually played during the day, so I would listen to them on the radio at school or work. It was fun. But as the responsibilities of life grew, my desire to follow baseball waned. The Big Red Machine of Cincinnati grew old and retired. Many of my Yankee heroes were replaced by a revolving door of guys I didn't know. Thurman Munson was killed in a plane crash and I wouldn't be able to tell you who was catching for the Yankees until Jorge Posada arrived.

So this year, for the first time in many years, I got reacquainted with baseball. My son-in-law and several guys I work with are also Yankee fans, and I began paying attention to game results from the first of the season. The baseball season is a long one. There were many ups and downs. Players were hurt, players were traded. Some went through slumps, some got really hot. There were winning streaks and losing streaks. I was there for it all. I saw the Yankees lose their first 8 games to the Red Sox only to win 9 of the next 10. It was really fun. I pulled for teams I don't like when they played teams I like even less.

Last night the last game of Major League Baseball season was played. The Yankees were there to the very end and are now the champions. Of course, I am thrilled that my team won. But I have enjoyed the many conversations with many of my friends about baseball this season. I enjoyed reading the box scores again, although I read them on the internet now. It really was fun and enjoyable. I have rejoined the community of baseball fans. I'm ready for another season to start.

No comments: