Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Modest Proposal

I remember reading "A Modest Proposal" in high school English as an example of satire. It was written by Johnathon Swift as I remember, and was written during the Irish Potato Famine, if my recollection is accurate. His proposal, in answer to the seeming indifference of the government to the plight of the starving was that the people should eat the babies. You have to read it.
www.art-bin.com/art/omodest.html

My proposal is not as outrageous as this. My proposal is along the lines of churches which need to be planted in Oklahoma City. Two come to mind, although there is a need for many "micro-congregations" in our city.

First would be a church in the "Little Saigon", or Asian District which is centered on Classen Boulevard between NW 36th and NW 16th. The people who have opened businesses in this corridor have saved this part of town from total deterioration. It is now an interesting and safe part of town thanks to their efforts. But there is not a church for them in any of the remaining vacant business locations.

Second would be a work in the Paseo Arts District. This area is in a resurgence and it is peopled by artistic people who will not typically respond to typical Christianity. However, they will respond to genuine Christianity which is not tied to Republican conservatism. (They really are two different things.)

I can't offer much in my proposal other than myself. I would love to work with and resource church planters who have a real calling and the ability to communicate at a heart level with the people of these neighborhoods. Our city benefits from having these populations in our area. We need to respond in love and share the gospel with them.

No comments: