Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Trustworthy?

John 2:23-25 (The Message)
23-25During the time he was in Jerusalem, those days of the Passover Feast, many people noticed the signs he was displaying and, seeing they pointed straight to God, entrusted their lives to him. But Jesus didn't entrust his life to them. He knew them inside and out, knew how untrustworthy they were. He didn't need any help in seeing right through them.

Jesus knew how unstable the opinions of people can be. He was the visible image of God, and yet people's opinions about him wavered from day to day depending on how his message struck them. The same crowd that shouted "hosanna" one day shouted "crucify him!" just a week later.

We, as mere mortals have an unending struggle with this. We are social creatures, desiring to be respected and wanting to be in relationship with people we can respect. But it has been said, "The best of men are men at best." It is easy to hold the principle of caring only for God's approval, but in reality it hurts when someone you loved and felt comfortable around suddenly turns on you. I need to warn you; if you are my friend for any length of time, I will let you down. Please don't cut me loose, because eventually you will let me down and we both need all the friends we can get. I'll give you a pass if you still want to be my friend. I hope you will give me a pass as well. I think it's what we are supposed to do.

No comments: