Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A new missionary friend

I just had lunch with someone I had never met. He is a missionary assigned to an area of the world which is quite sensitive, so I can't mention his name or the part of the world he lives in when on the field. He and his wife have been living as "ministry vagabonds" for the past several years, following disaster and upheaval all around the world to administer assistance and hope. They own very little in assets and live mostly out of two suitcases; one for hot weather and one for cold weather. I immediately liked him. He does not consider that he is giving anything up to do what God has called him to do. Sleeping in hammocks and in leaky canoes is all part of the adventure that he gets to do as a Christ follower.

I am convinced that we have young people in our youth group who can live completely committed lives as Christ followers. I believe that they are sensitive to God's voice in their lives. I believe that they have a desire to do anything God asks them to do. The only thing I don't know for sure is this: Will we as a church be ready and willing to resource them in every way necessary to prepare and send them, and will their families be willing to release them to live a life not in keeping with the "American Dream"?

No comments: