Friday, January 21, 2011

He Sure Makes It Easy To Trust

I am a very forward looking person. I always look forward to what the future may bring. I am always thinking about how different (translated: better) things will be or run or look a year from now. But this week I have been doing a lot of looking back. It is easier to predict what will happen by what has happened in the past. I'm not talking about always doing what you've always done, because if  you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always gotten. No, I'm talking about giving a deep, appreciative look at what has been done before, so I can have a better understanding of how it is possible for me to do what I can do today. Dorothy Watson gave me a picture she showed me several months ago. It is of a Vacation Bible School held in 1954, two years before I was born. The church was the precursor of Living Water Church. It was pastored by Rev. Shumway, who is the gentleman on the back row wearing the white hat. What is noteworthy to me about the photo is that my mom is the lady on the right side with her arms crossed, looking toward the left. My older brother, Greg, is a little 4 year old boy, seated on the front row, near the left end.

This was going on two years before I made my appearance, but the gospel that Rev. Shumway planted in my parents has come back to Guthrie, through me, to continue to sow the gospel to the community my parents were a part of so many years ago. When you think that God knew how all of that back was going to work out then, it sure makes it easy to trust Him now, doesn't it?

No comments: