Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Reaping the Benefits

It's now official. I have been extended the great honor of serving Living Water Church in Guthrie, Oklahoma as their pastor. I am really excited to begin this new opportunity. I have been here at the church today preparing for Sunday. As I have walked the hallways and corridors of the church building I am continually awestruck that God and the good people at Living Water would entrust me with the responsibility of serving them here.

At lunch a while ago, I was reading my YouVersion bible on my iPhone because I forgot to bring the book I am reading. I was reading in John 4 about Jesus' interaction with the Samaritan woman. After that interchange, the disciples came back and were wondering what was was going on. A verse jumped off the screen of my phone. Verse 38 says, "I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor."

I realize that this verse is for me today. Many years ago people plowed the hard ground and sowed what seed they had available to start this church from scratch. Faithful people for many years have worked and given faithfully of their talents and resources. People are currently working joyfully in many different areas of ministry even though they have gone through a tumultous season. So much has already been done.There is so much already happening.  And there is so much yet to happen because God has been faithful through the decades. I will willingly give of everything God has given to me to use, and count myself privileged to be a contributor to the Living Water story.

No comments: