Saturday, February 13, 2010

Facilities- No Fun

I have never relished being the "go to guy" for the facilities at church. Three years I stepped into the role on a "temporary" basis and those of you who know how churches operate know the rest of the story. I am far too reactive and potentially cranky to deal with the issues related to thermostats, toilets and air conditioners and their effect on my friends. Two weeks ago we had ICE STORM 2010 and due to ice damming we had water running down the walls and out of light fixtures in our east and west entries. That was bad. The parking lot was icy. That was bad.

Today I was walking the trail around Lake Hefner. I was at the half-way point, meaning I had walked an hour and a half away from my truck and it was an hour and a half back if I turned around or went forward. I was on the north end of the lake. My phone rang and I was told that we had a severe water leak in the parking lot and the water had to be shut off. It appears that the main water line from the meter to the church is broken and as such, there is no running water for the church tomorrow. We have a plan "B", but it still stinks.

I will be straight up with you I got mad and then I got sorry that I have to be me. It will be a long service tomorrow. Why this kind of stuff has to happen on Saturday afternoon is beyond me. But we will get through it. I could be the guy who has to mobilize hundreds of truckloads of snow to be put on a mountain so the Olympics can have their downhill ski races tomorrow.

No comments: