Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Haiti Response

I have been asked by several of the guys at Highpointe (Pointe Men) if we should be planning a trip to Haiti. I have been really blessed that our men are thinking in that way. Several years ago when we put together a team to go help with Katrina relief, we didn't get much response. But as the heart of our church has become more in tune with the heart of God, I am seeing a difference in our people and their feelings of responsibility to show God's love in real and tangible ways. This desire to go to a very difficult place and do difficult work to help relieve the suffering of the poorest of the poor shows that our hearts are beginning to be broken by the things that break the heart of God.

My answer to the guys is that there will be a lot of work to do for a long time. I will look to put a trip together for early 2011 when the efforts will have shifted from crisis relief to rebuilding. The current skill sets of our people would be used most productively in that type of ministry.

That doesn't mean that I don't ever want us involved in disaster relief. On the contrary, I would love to be prepared for immediate response to disaster; whether it be a house fire in Oklahoma City, a tornado in southern Oklahoma, a hurricane on the Gulf Coast, or a tsunami or earthquake in the far reaches of the world. As the heart of compassion in our church grows, I believe that this will be a natural outgrowth of that deep love for all of God's children.

I can't wait for what is ahead.

No comments: