Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Just do it.

As I have visited with people from many churches over the past few years I am struck by something that I have had difficulty expressing without seeming arrogant. It seems that in Pentecostal circles we have embraced the wonderful supernatural aspects of the Holy Spirit without fully understanding the theology behind what we espouse. In other words, we have valued the signs and wonders more than the earnest, steadfast study of the scripture.

When I visit with people and ask questions or make assertions about biblical truths, more often than not, I will hear a quote from a favorite preacher rather than a scripture reference. If I hear a scripture reference, it will be quoted as a stand alone promise with no thought given to the context of the scripture verse.

It is no wonder that we have so many wonderful, sincere people falling for things that are not truly biblical. It is no wonder that so many live powerless lives, because the phrases they quote sound good to their Christian friends, but there is a hesitancy about saying them to their unchurched friends because they wonder if those phrases really are true. We have many long-time Christians, but not many mature Christians.

I am anything but a Bible scholar, but I have made a life priority out of daily Bible reading. Over the years, I have come to a solid sound faith in God. Now, when I hear something said by a preacher or believer, I can immediately sense if it fits within the whole counsel of God. This without a seminary degree. Just through daily Bible reading. All of us have Bibles. We can all read a few chapters a day. Over time you will see immeasurable results. I promise.

Just do it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I add... Do it together. Don't trust your own understanding alone, but open yourself to others'reading(s), especially those from other traditions. We belong to the Church catholic, the people of God of all places and times, so read what others have said about this or that issue or bit of Scripture and talk to others who have earned the right to speak on a subject. And do it all prayerfully.

Randy, having known you for a while now, I feel comfortable saying you model this. That's an inspiration to all of us to do the same.

R.B. Whitlow said...

That is a good word. People tend to get wierd when they listen only to themselves.

Thanks for the kind comment, Chris.