Sunday, November 6, 2011

Who's In Charge?

Luke 6:12-16  Jesus spent all night in prayer in preparation for his choice of the 12 who would be his apostles. All night. Jesus. The Son of God. Yeah, Him. He spent all night in prayer before making a major decision. That convicts me. How many times have I made a major decision after convincing myself that my thinking about it a lot was equivalent to praying about it? We can all quote scriptures about taking our needs to God in prayer, but many times our prayer sounds a lot like, "Change my mind if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong" while we are on the way to act on our decision.

I hear God get blamed for a lot of stuff. Someone says they "heard from God", and take action, only to reverse course some time later when it didn't work out the way they thought it would and say again that they "heard from God". I always want to ask them, "Which time were you lying?" When you prepare in prayer for a major decision you can go in peace regardless of the outcome, because you know that you are following God.  I always feel better when He is responsible for the outcome. I have a habit of messing things up when I make the decision.

No comments: