Thursday, September 22, 2011

Poor Customer Service

This morning I went to a national chain office supply store to get some copier paper for the church. While I was checking out I saw a lady carrying her desktop computer in her arms. My first thought was, "Oh boy, I hate having to take my computer for repair." I have been her before; carrying my computer, knowing that I am at a severe knowledge disadvantage and wondering if this trip would be the one that would require me to go through the painful process of switching to a new computer.

The lady was directed by the person at my check-out station to take her burden to the customer service desk. There were two employees at the service desk and I was sure that she would come under their care very quickly. However, they seemed not to notice the lady and continued their light-hearted conversation while she stood close by, uncertain as to where to set her computer. Another employee, who appeared to be older and seemingly more responsible came walking quickly toward the two. I assumed that she would immediately connect with the poor lady and get on to the two younger ones for being un-noticing of the lady's dilemma. However, she gave an order to the boy about some messiness on one of the aisles and sent him away. She then gave some directions to the other girl and set her in another direction. All of this happened within 4 feet of the lady who was still holding her computer. No one had talked to her yet. Finally the lady was told someone would be with her shortly; the first acknowledgement of her existence in the store. As I was leaving, I saw her decide to set her computer down on a counter. No one had given her any instruction. She was the customer. She was the reason the store exists. Nothing else could have been more important than making her feel appreciated for picking their store over the many other options Oklahoma City offers.

Poor customer service always frustrates me. I worry that this story might be lived out at Living Water Church. Could someone come into our place, carrying a heavy burden and looking to repair her life and find people who are occupied in conversations with people they have known for years? Could the placement of chairs or the quantity of coffee stirrers take precedent over connecting with someone who is out her element by coming into a church?

Let's all keep an eye out for someone who we don't recognize. Let's be ready to meet them; to hear their story; to see how we can help lead them to what they need. After all, people with burdens are the reason for our existence. Nothing else we do comes close to them in importance.

No comments: